The Australian Small Business Blog

Friday, September 09, 2016

Forget the 80/20 rule...


by Dr Greg Chapman


The 80/20 principle, also known as the Pareto principle, has been an extremely useful means of focusing on what matters. General examples of this principle are:

“80% of wealth is owned by 20% of people”
“80% of traffic is on 20% of our roads in our city”
In business, this principle is also useful:

“80% of your profit comes from 20% of your sales”
“80% of your complaints come from 20% of your customers”
“80% of sales come from 20% of your clients”

No doubt you are nodding your head with these examples, and could come up with many more besides.

Now there is another principle: 120/20 principle which implies 20% of your effort produces 120% of your results. The other 80% is actually a loss to you. In other words, the 20% subsidises the remaining 80%.

Let’s take one of the examples above and rewrite it:

“120% of your profit comes from 20% of your sales” and every sale above the 20%, you start losing money. This loss may not just be an accounting loss which you may discover when complete cost allocation is made of all your business overheads. It can also include opportunity cost for time spent with low value customers since:

“120% of your profit comes from 20% of your customers”

Which means that trying make the sale and deliver the service for the other 80% is costing you money. That doesn’t mean you should drop the other 80%, but you certainly should take a hard look on what you are doing with them and see whether you can change your model.
Under the 80/20 rule, you may still continue with the other 80% of your customers, because you believe there will still be a profit contribution, but the 120/20 rule says the 80% are actually subtracting from your bottom line, not adding to it.

What insights do you gain by applying these principles to your business, and what changes will you make to it as a result?

All you need to do now is to Empower yourself and take action ...

May Your Business Be – As You Plan It!



Subscribe to this Blog for more Small Business news and tips.

Share this article:Forget the 80/20 rule...



Over to You. What do You Think? Post Your Comments Below. [Note to those seeking a free ride on our google ranking, blog spam will be deleted,but genuine contributions will be happily published.]

Dr Greg Chapman is the Director of Empower Business Solutions and is Australia's Leading Advisor on Emerging Businesses and provides Coaching and Consulting advice to Australian Small Business Owners in Marketing & Business Strategies Planning & Systems. He is also the author of The Five Pillars of Guaranteed Business Success and Price: How You Can Charge More Without Losing Sales.



Promote Your Business on our Facebook Fan Page


facebook_button.png
The Australian Small Business Blog

To send this article to a friend, click on the envelope below.

No comments :

THE AUSTRALIAN SMALL BUSINESS BLOG IN TOP 100 GLOBALLY

Awarded Top 100 Small Business Blog

Award from Feedspot, the international RSS blog syndicator.

Featured Book

Dr. Greg Chapman is also the author of
The 5 Pillars of Guaranteed Business Success

The Five Pillars of Guaranteed Business Success

Facebook

Twitter

LinkedIn

Goggle Plus

Atom Feed