The Australian Small Business Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Building Commission Registration – Who needs it?


In Victoria, only Registered Building Practitioners are legally allowed to carry out domestic building work of value over $5,000.  

So who needs to be a Registered Building Practitioner?

If a person is in the "business of building" then more than likely they must be registered with the Building Practitioner’s Board (BPB). Here is a partial list of building components that require Building Commission Registration:

• General Concreting
• Sundry Works
• Carpenter
• Site works involved in relocating a dwelling
• Garage and Carport
• Door and Window Replacement
• Gates and Fences • Brickwork
• External Cladding
• Roof Improvements
• Bathroom, kitchen and laundry renovation
• Earthworks/excavation
• Cabinet making and joinery
• Fllor slabs and footings
• Retaining walls
• Swimming Pools
• Sub-floor works
• Structural Landscaping
• Shade Structures
• Waterproofing

The Building Act 1993 requires most people who carry out or undertake work in building to be registered as building practitioners with the BPB. Registered Building Practitioners are required to carry the appropriate insurance to provide consumers with better protection where works exceed $12,000.

The BPB registers individuals not companies or businesses. The Building Regulations 2006 outline the various categories and classes of building practitioners. The ability to be registered is based upon the nature and extent of the practitioner's qualifications and experience. The following categories and classes of building practitioners are currently required to be registered with the BPB:

• Building surveyor
• Building inspector (Unlimited/Limited)
• Quantity surveyor
• Engineer (Civil/Mechanical/Electrical/Fire Safety)
• Draftsperson (Building design - architectural, interior, services)
• Builder (Commercial Builder - unlimited/limited)
• Builder (Domestic Builder - unlimited/limited/manager)
• Builder (Demolisher - low rise buildings/medium rise buildings/unlimited)
• Erector or Supervisor (temporary structures - Class 1 and 2).

Obtain specialist advice for your building business here and get a complimentary business evaluation..  

Over to You. What do You Think? Post Your Comments Below.

Share This Article: Building Commission Registration – Who needs it?

Promote Your Business on our Facebook Fan Page


The Australian Small Business Blog

To send this article to a Friend, click on one of the links below.

1 comment :

Unknown said...

Looks like there are a lot of restrictions in Victoria. When I acquired my property here in Melbourne, the building inspections melbourne did all the work for me. Appreciate you providing the link for the building trade registration though. That information will sure come in handy. Cheers!


Awarded Top 100 Small Business Blog

Award from Feedspot, the international RSS blog syndicator.

Featured Book

Dr. Greg Chapman is also the author of
The 5 Pillars of Guaranteed Business Success

The Five Pillars of Guaranteed Business Success




Goggle Plus

Atom Feed